What is Ecotourism?
Ecotourism is a form of tourism involving visiting fragile, pristine and relatively undisturbed natural areas, intended as a low-impact and often small scale alternative to standard commercial mass tourism. It means responible travel no natural areas, conserving the enviroment and also improving the well being of the local people living there.
The purpose of ecotourism can be to educate the traveler and to provide funds for ecological conversation to directly benefit the economic development and politcal empowerment of local communities or to foster respect for different cultures and for human rights.
Since the 1980s ecotourism has been considered a critical endeavor by environmentalists so that future generations may experience destinations unharmed by human intervention. Ecotourism generally focus on socially responsible travel, environmental sustainability and education for the traveler.
Typical destinations for ecotourism is where flora, fauna and cultural heritage are primary attractions. Ecotourism is intended to offer tourists an insight into the impact of human beings on the environment and to make mankind appreciate our natural habitats more.
Responsible ecotourism programs include those that minimize the negative aspects of conventional tourism on the environment and enhance the cultural integrity of local people. Therefore, in addition to evaluating environmental and cultural facots, and integral part of ecotourism is the promotion of recycling, energy efficiency, water conversation and creation of economic opportunities for local communities.
principles of Ecotourism
According to “Ecotourism society” ecotourism is about conservation, communities and sustainable travel.
- Minimize physical, social, behavioral, and psychological impacts.
- Build environmental and cultural awareness and respect.
- Provide positive experiences for both visitors and hosts.
- Provide direct financial benefits for conservation.
- Generate financial benefits for both local people and private industry.
- Deliver memorable interpretative experiences to visitors that help raise sensitivity to host countries’ political, environmental, and social climates.
- Design, construct and operate low-impact facilities.
- Recognize the rights and spiritual beliefs of the Indigenous People in your community and work in partnership with them to create empowerment.
Pros of ecotourism
- Educating local communities about the fragile Environment.
- Conservation of flora and fauna.
- Biological information
Become an eco-tourist
If you want to become an eco-tourist or atleast try to be one, start by making informed choices when planning a vacation. Check out the Do’s and Dont’s while traveling by Ecotourism Society for examples.
- Ecotourism society http://www.ecotourism.org/
- Concept of ecotourism http://www.travelindream.com/concept-of-ecotourism/
ALSO CHECK: Wildlife And Conservation